With just over a week to go I’ve finally finished packing my hospital bags. Now last time around I packed a lot of stuff, got taken in and induced early (without my bags) so I didn’t really end up using much that I’d packed… I also didn’t shower there so didn’t use any of the toiletries!
My top essentials for labour last time were:
- Drinking straws (makes it so much easier to drink, whatever position you’re in!)
- Lavender oil on a hankie… Smelling this kept me relaxed
- Face sprays/mists
This time around I’ve packed a bit lighter and assumed an overnight stay. I’ve also split the bags into one for mum, one for baby. (Last time I tried labour and post-labour)
Let’s start with mummy’s bag… The good old faithful Cath Kidston that a bestie bought me 🙂
- A bag of energy snacks (brunch bars), 2 bottles of lucozade, 2 bottles of water
- Drinking straws
- A bag of toiletries….
The right-hand side is for labour:
- Elemis lavender toner spray and Body Shop vitamin E face mist… Both blissful!
- Lavender oil and a hanky to sniff it from (helps me relax)
- Plain massage oil – doubt I will use it but just in case I demand a back rub from my OH!
- Sanctuary foot and leg gel – another blissful treat for aching legs and cankles!
- Lip balm for the gas-and-air dry mouth/lips
On the left-hand side is stuff I might use post-labour:
- Shampoo, conditioner and shower gel – just small samples I’ve gotten free with stuff
- Face cream
- BB foundation (the thing I’m most unlikely to use but you never know!)
- Just realised I need to pack my toothpaste and toothbrush too! And a hairbrush!
Also in mummy’s bag the not-very-glamorous but essential:
- Nursing Bra
- Sanitary towels
- Breast pads
- Clothes to go home in – lounging bottoms and a t-shirt!
- Paracetamol – a friend gave me this tip last time around, they can come in handy post-labour as you could literally be waiting hours for your prescription to come through!
But on the more exciting side I’ve packed a brand new nighty and pyjamas that I bought in the M&S sale for a total of £15… Lovely bird print, been saving them to wear for the big event or just after as I was in totally scruffy old stuff last time!
Now for baby’s bag. This is a brand new bag we were given by toTs by Smartrike, I’ll do a proper review once we start using it properly but in the meantime I must tell you I’m really impressed with it… High quality/finish and bags of space!
Inside I’ve packed:
- A selection of newborn clothes – couple of vests, couple of sleepsuits, couple of outfits… Should cover all weather eventualities! The sleepsuits were worn by W as a baby, the other items are brand new and featured in our recent haul post if you fancy a closer look!
Then we have:
- About 8 nappies – we are kindly sent a big pack of Asda’s new nappies to try out – their nappies sound upgraded since we last used them when W was a baby – they now have newborn nappies with ‘Dreamskin’ technology which helps keep their skin moisturised and temperature regulated which sound great
- Wet wipes – A travel pack of water wipes – we were also sent these to try which I’m really looking forward to trying, should be less faff than water and cotton wool!
- Cotton wool just in case!
- Little samples of nappy cream
- A blanket (crocheted by my aunt!)
And I think that’s it!
- My hospital notes are currently living on top of the bags so we remember those too
- Must remember my phone charger, also the TENS machine if I’m not already using it as we’re en route
If I end up being induced again I’ll take another bag packed with books, magazines, my iPad and lots of snacks!
Anything I’ve missed? What was in your hospital bags?!
Linking up with #KCACOLS