What to pack for labour/post-labour in hospital
So with just #3daystogo I left it slightly late to finish packing my bags although we did start a couple of weeks ago… most people suggest having it ready a month in advance but I am always a last-minute Minnie!
So, we have 2 bags – roughly 1 for labour, 1 for post-labour (I say roughly as one is a bit fuller than the other so they’re having to share a bit of space ;)) I’ve used bags instead of a suitcase for easy access… but the labour one is full and heavy so I imagine we might re-think that before we go!
What’s in the labour bag?
- 3 small bottles of water, 3 small bottles of Lucozade
- Drinking straws (recommended by a friend who says they’re handy in case you’re in some weird positions during labour!)
- A bag full of energy snacks e.g. brunch bars, go-ahead bars, nuts and yoghurt-covered raisins
- my new Cath Kidston toiletries bag (thanks girls!) which has my 2 favourite facial sprays – the Elemis lavender toner, and the Body Shop Vitamin E face mist (had a third as a gift which was Simple – already used all that ooops – I love face mists!) hairbands; lavender oil with a hanky to sprinkle the oil on, lip balm (everyone says these are handy if you use gas and air as your lips get dry) and some of my fave beauty products – leg/foot gel and face cream, face wipes
- my comfiest slipper socks (from Boux Avenue) in case my feet get cold (and if not, handy for the overnight stay!)
What’s in the post-labour bag?
- Paracetamol – a friend told me these are handy post-birth as I might be in some pain and will have to wait AGES if I ask the staff for some!
- Towel – for post-shower etc -everyone says to pack an old, dark one – well this is one of those but also has a funny story behind it – this is an ‘I love Greece’ one that I bought the day that we think Bean was conceived on – and I was sick on next to the pool as I was so hungover!
- Toiletries bag – small samples of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body cream, toothbrush and toothpaste, and some sample sizes of make-up e.g. mascara, my full-size bare minerals make-up, deodorant and some nipple cream remnants (lansinoh and Asda) that my friend gave me, hairbrush
- spare bra and a couple of breast pads (just a free sample pack I was given)
- PJ bottoms (M&S) and a t-shirt
- Comfy dress to wear home
- Maternity pads
- Disposable knickers
- Normal knickers (M&S!)
- About 10 outfits – vests/sleepsuits – we’ve only packed that many due to the range in sizes! Hard to guess which ones will fit best!
- A cardigan to wear in case it’s nippy when it’s going home time
- Scratch mitts and hats (again a variety for size!)
- 2 blankets (1 cellular, 1 cotton/fleece)
- 10 nappies (Pampers size 1)
- cotton wool pads
Other bits to add in
- I need to get a bag of loose change for machines, parking etc
- I still hope to sort out some music for my iPhone
- Must remember to pack my iPhone charger on the day… oh and the hospital notes!
- No idea what I’ll be wearing when I go in but I hope it includes comfy pumps/flip-flops that I can wear to walk around once I’m in there and coming home too
- Arnica – sold out in the last couple of shops I’ve tried but will try and get some the next few days (heard it’s good for bruising afterwards!)
- I also have a plastic bag in there for dirty clothes etc
- Book – I might pack one if labour is going slowly when I leave for hospital but otherwise I can’t imagine having time to read in there (or ever again!)
What do you think? Have I missed any essentials? (Obviously if me and/or Bean are in for a few days we’ll need daddy to get some more supplies but hoping this will be enough for an overnight stay?)