Yes baby brain had well and truly kicked in when I wrote last week’s update – I was 38 weeks gone not 39! So today I am 39 weeks pregnant – #7daystogo
It’s been a funny old week:
High blood pressure and goodbye to the maternity-led unit
Blood Pressure remains high and quite unpredicatable so saw the consultant a week ago and had my BP checked every couple of days since – this means I’m definitely going to be consultant-led which I was a bit gutted about after having seen the midwife-led unit and dreaming of a relaxing, home-from-home, natural labour…
Oh and we also had an unexpected scan where the sonographer laughed as she said ‘it’s measuring big’ eeeeek! At 38 weeks, the head was measuring at 42 weeks and it also has a big tummy but normal length legs…..
I’m still hoping for as natural birth as possible but obviously being consultant-led (and the potential of a big baby!) increases the chance of intervention so I’ve been reading up a bit on epidurals (good for lowering blood pressure), assisted deliveries and C-sections just in case any of these happen!
I’ve got to keep remembering that the important thing is Bean arrives safely… it doesn’t matter how! (And so many people have told me how they’ve got measurements so wrong!)
Goodbye work, hello leisure!
A week in, and I’ve already forgotten how to do my job! If it wasn’t for the high blood pressure I would have been checking in on emails etc but I’ve forced myself to switch off and it has been lovely!
I’ve had a mix of relaxing and keeping busy…
- Good Friday – sunny so I spent most of the day in the garden, dug up some dead flowers then sat in the sun reading
- Saturday – met up with my parents in Brecon including a lovely lunch at Tipple and Tiffins and a relaxing boat trip down the canal – highlight was seeing some cute ducklings!
- Easter Sunday – a big dinner at the in-laws, yum yum!
- Easter Monday – another sunny day so sat in the garden again reading, sis came to stay over and we watched Frozen.. brilliant!
- Tuesday – sis came with me to my BP test at the hospital then we had a look round some shops (including the adorable clothes at Next and Mammas and Pappas!) and a delicious lunch in the new Pieminister shop in Cardiff
- Wednesday – lovely lunch with my mate Gemma at Corner House, and stocked up in Poundland and Boots on some toiletries for my hospital bag.. and cleaning products…. #Nesting! Also briefly caught up with my mate Zoe and my god-daughter who is a very cute 14 month old, starting to talk a lot – she took great delight in pulling my top up and down to see and then hide Bean!
- Thursday – BP check, Tesco shop then a lovely day chilling at home followed by a dinner at Penarth Pier 64 with Ceri and Shell – good food and great location, definitely want to go back there!
Other weekly updates:
Stretchmarks: still none 🙂
Baby’s movements: still a wriggly little (or big!) thing
Sleep: I seem to wake up about 4-5am every night. Once I’m awake whether that be 6, 7 or 8 then I can’t get back to sleep – my body must be getting me ready for this upcoming sleep deprivation! Last night was the worst – woke up at 3 and eventually got up at 5.30!
Gifts: a lovely girl I met on a mums-to-be Facebook group sent me a breast pump for free as she already has one so didn’t need it, bless her!
Purchases for me –
- some pumps from Next – *needed* some comfy shoes!
- couple of maternity t-shirts from eBay
- a variety of energy snacks for labour
- toiletries for hospital – spare deodorant, toothbrush etc so I don’t forget to pack mine etc
- dates – I read this article about the benefits of eating dates in late pregnancy, including lowering blood pressure so I might have left it too late but will give it a try nonetheless!
Purchases for Bean – this adorable elephant from Tiger for just £4! (the nursery is still WIP but we’re trying to give it an elephant feel)
and some hats from Tesco as we only had 1 hat and apparently they need to wear them a lot (got 2 sizes in case he/she really does have a big head ;))
So, 1 week to go…. wonder when Bean will make his/her big appearance?!